We will not be open for A.S.D.I. on September 4th. Instead the first day will be on September 5th.
Robert A. Steen Community Centre offers a free drop-in environment to children after school to use the facility, the games, participate in activities and to spend time with their friends. The drop-in begins at 3:30pm and runs until 5:30pm. The drop-in program is opened to all children aged 7-12. Younger children/siblings are welcome but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Centre Attendants are responsible for supervising large groups of children every day, and cannot be responsible for individual children.
Children are responsible to sign in/out each day, even if they plan on hanging out with friends outside. In this way parents are better able to know of their child’s whereabouts when attending the drop-in.
This letter is distributed to all parents/guardians of children who attend the drop-in, in order to remind all parents/guardians of the following important information:
- It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to establish limits for their child on what they are able to do while attending the drop in program (ex. May play outside, may go skating, must stay inside the centre). WHILE STAFF TRY TO BE AWARE OF THE WHEREABOUTS OF YOUR CHILDREN, THIS IS OBVIOUSLY IMPOSSIBLE AS THIS IS A DROP IN AND THE STAFF MEMBERS CANNOT, AND WILL NOT, BE ABLE TO LEAVE THE PREMISIS. THEREFORE WE WOULD ASK THAT THE BOUNDARIES YOU GIVE YOUR CHILDREN PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROGRAM INCLUDE THE BUILDING AND ITS SURROUNDING .
- It is the child’s responsibility to phone their parents. There is a public phone available for the children to use when it is available. It is our only line and our business phone. It should not be used for making play dates or chatting with friends etc..
- It is a privilege to attend the After School Drop-in. The centre attendants have the right to ask your child to leave at ANY TIME for behavior problems or in the case of an emergency. Please make sure that your child understands this.
- Centre attendants are responsible for watching large groups of children and occasionally problems occur that the centre attendants are not immediately aware of. It is important that parents encourage their child to inform centre staff of any problems which may arise so that we may deal with it accordingly and immediately.
- The After School Drop-In is NOT a Day Care. Children are free to come and go to and from the Community Centre during the Drop-In hours. THERE SHOULD BE A PARENT/GUARDIAN AT HOME AT ALL TIMES. Your child can be sent home at ANY TIME during the program if there is a behavior issue with your child or in the case of an emergency. Children are here to participate in the program. If children don’t want to participate or follow the rules, they should not be attending the Drop-In.
Positive behavior and attitude are very important. Behavior problems with one child often create problems with larger groups of children. All children who attend the drop-in are expected to behave in a positive manner and to follow the rules set out by the centre. Please go over the rules with your child and ensure that they understand what is expected of them while at the centre.
- Be polite to others
- Do not use foul language
- Take care of centre property and equipment, and put away after use
- Keep hands and feet to yourself
- Centre attendants are responsible for ensuring the safety and comfort of ALL who use the centre. LISTEN to centre attendants if they ask you to do/not do something
- Show respect for the centre and for others
- Be in appropriate spaces – DO NOT play around the back of our building, in the basement (other than to use the washroom), fire exits etc.
- Keep your Community Centre clean by putting all garbage and recycling in the appropriate bins provided
- Hand-held electronic devices such as iPods, cell phones, gaming systems, etc. are NOT permitted at the Drop-In. If a child is seen with any of these devices, it will be taken away, stored in the office and returned when it’s home time. Cell phones may be used for calling a parent/guardian, but must then be stored away.
- Keep your belongings in your assigned space.
***In order for the children to take our rules/guidelines seriously we have a “contract” for your child to sign so they are aware of how our centre runs and are aware of the consequences of inappropriate behavior (First a verbal warning, second parent notification then 3rd Suspension or possible Expulsion from the program) to keep our centre as safe and fun for all as possible.
The After School Drop-In program is NOT a Day Care. Children are free to come and go to and go from the Community Centre during the Drop-In program hours. THERE SHOULD BE A PARENT/GUARDIAN AT HOME AT ALL TIMES. Your child can be sent home at ANY TIME during the program if there is a behavior issue with your child or in the case of an emergency. Children are here to participate in the program. If children don’t want to participate or follow the rules, they should not be attending the Drop-In program.
If you have any questions about the After School Program please call the centre (204)783-5616.
MANDATORY PARENT MEETING
Wednesday, August 21st, 2019 at 5:30p.m. at R.A. Steen Community Centre for those who are interested in registering their child for our After School Drop-in Program. There will be important information announced at the meeting that all parents should be aware of. This may be your ONLY opportunity to register your child for the program. Please bring your children with you. Please come prepared with your child’s 9 digit Manitoba Health number.
*There are 100 spots available for registration this year. In order to be able to register at the meeting, you will need to have your child/children attend with you and have them complete their contract stating they understand the rules of the centre and the program. You will receive a number upon arriving that will gain you entrance to the meeting. Priority will be given to the first 100 people who attend the meeting with their child/children. Parents who do not have their children present will not be admitted into the meeting but will be able to put their information down on a wait list and take a registration form home but are not guaranteed a spot in the program. If your child will no longer be attending, please let us know via email so we can add another child.
This program is for children ages 7 – 12.
STARTS SEPTEMBER 4, 2019
- Parents must register their child in advance. There is limited space for this program. Register before we fill up.
- Hours of operation are 3:30 – 5:30pm Monday to Friday during the school year. The drop-in program is closed on days when there is no school.
- To ensure a safe and pleasant environment, it is essential that children must know their boundaries and know the difference between right and wrong.
- Drop-in for organized and non-organized activities. Children can come and hang out with their friends, play in the gym, play video games, read a book, play board games and so much more.